Frequently asked questions: Moving in

Wed 07 Sep
Unsplash/Boligartikler/Flytte inn og ut/pexels-karolina-grabowska-4506270_py0xod

Find answers to frequently asked questions about things you are wondering about before you move in / when you have just moved into an SSN student housing.

About moving into student housing

Frequently asked questions about moving into SSN´s student housing.

In addition to clothing and personal belongings, you may want to bring:

  • Pillow, duvet, towels and bed-clothing

  • Plates, cups etc. and cutlery

  • Pots, pans and other kitchen equipment

  • Bucket, brush, cloths, for use in own accommodation and shared kitchen/bathroom

Removing furniture from the residence is not permitted, but you may bring additional furniture if there is room for it.

Buy bed linen package:

We can provide a bed linen package via SSN. The package contains: 

1 duvet
1 duvet cover
1 pillow
1 pillow cover
1 sheet
2 towels, one small and one large

See the price list for current price.

Please let us know if you would like to buy this package before your arrival, so we can deliver this to your room. You can place an order by e-mailing us at: [email protected]

The rent includes electricity, janitor services and internet (free additional service via USN).

In the student housing where there is a shared laundry with appwash, you pay per wash/dry, while in most of our accommodation in Porsgrunn, Bø (not Campus Bø Student housing), Notodden and on Rauland it is free to use the shared laundry room.

You can pick up the key either from SSN's office on campus or you can lock yourself in via the app if it is a key card and not a physical key at your student accommodation.

All information about key collection can be found here.

Use your mobile phone as a key!

Many of our student housing units have a key card lock system. If you rent a unit with key card system, you can easily lock yourself in via "My key card" on My page (both via browser and in the Student Sørøst app). Here you have the opportunity to unlock all the doors you have access to through your lease with SSN. This is also a feature you can use to open the door when having guests.

We still recommend that you always bring your key card when you leave your housing unit. Opening from the web will not work if the internet in the building or My page is down.

Report any defects immediately

If you discover faults or defects in the housing, we ask you to report to My page as soon as possible.

Read more about reporting damages and defects.

Critical errors or omissions?

In an emergency situation where the deficiencies is critical for the building or its occupants, please call SSN's emergency number 31 00 95 00.

In case of an accident, fire or other emergency, call the emergency numbers:

Fire: 110
Emergency room:
116 117

Thank you for helping us!

You create a user on My Page yourself.

On My Page, you can apply for student housing and health expence refund. This is also where you report faults and deficiencies in your student housing, or report noise etc. This is also where those of you with a key card can change the PIN code to your card, or even lock yourself in digitally.

You will also find an overview of your tenancy, such as an invoice for rent and you can apply for additional services such as storage or parking space. You see an overview of ongoing and previous applications.

If you have children in our student kindergarten, you can also see information about this on My page.

Remember to update your contact information on My Page, for example if you change your telephone number or get a new e-mail address. It is important that your contact information is up to date, so that we as the lessor can get in touch with you. We usually use e-mail or SMS when we send you information.

The vast majority of our housings are connected to the University's network, and the internet is a free additional service.

On the info page for your student housing, you can see what kind of connection you have in your housing unit.

NOTE! Once you are logged in to the network, you get the opportunity to log in for free at Schibsted (you must create a user) to read their online newspapers for free! Schibsted's newspapers are, for example, Aftenposten, VG, E24 and more.

You will find information about the network connection in your student housing by clicking into the correct property (where you live) under Our student housing. Scroll to Internet in the list.

In the event of connection problems, you can restart the router yourself.

Still no internet-connection? Our Technology department can assist you, send in your support inquiry via our contact form.

Yes, you need contents insurance 😉

You should provide a contents insurance when moving in to your own place, including student housing.

SSN as a lessor is responsible for keeping our buildings and our equipment insured, but you must ensure that you insure your personal assets, as these are not covered through SSN's insurance.

First of all: check if you are covered by your parents' insurance, before you take out your own contents insurance.

Why contents insurance?

Should unforeseen events such as a fire, water damage, burglary of your home or shed occur, this can lead to expenses and losses for you as a resident. You can use the contents insurance to limit your own financial loss in such cases. If you do not have contents insurance, you will have to pay for such extra expenses yourself. It can be expenses for temporary residence if your home becomes uninhabitable, or expenses for clothes, books, bicycles, PCs, etc. that you need on a daily basis.

Find information at the info page for your student housing

Information about parking in connection with your residential area can be found under "Parking" at Our student housing (choose the residence you live at).

At some of our properties it is possible to rent a parking space. To apply for a parking space, you must initially have a lease with us. You apply via My page by going to My tenancy and "Apply for additional products". You may read more about rental of parking space here.

It is important that you park only in marked parking spaces and not in front of entrances or in the roadway where it may block snowmobiles or emergency vehicles. Incorrectly parked cars may be removed without notice.

It is well organised for the use of bicycles at USN's campuses.

Read about parking at USN by clicking further into your campus and selecting "How to get to campus".

Yes, at some of our properties it is possible to rent a parking space. You can read more about parking at your student housing by checking out Our housing and Parking at the desired property.

To apply for the rental of a parking space, you must initially have a lease with us. You apply via My Page by going to My Tenancy and Apply for additional products". If there is a space available, you will receive an offer to rent from us, if not, you will be placed on a waiting list.

See the price list for prices for renting a parking space.

If you have not been allocated housing yet, but wish to apply for a parking space, you can contact us and we will help you.

The welfare hosts have a number of different tasks, which you can read about HERE.

The welfare host is connecting SSN and the resident. As a resident you can find contact information to your welfare host at My page under My tenancy or in the Student Sørøst app.

The welfare hosts does not allocate student housing and has nothing to do with the application process. Are you wondering how to apply for student accommodation? Read How to apply!

If you still have questions, you are always welcome to contact us!

We offer short-term rentals for distance learning students at Notodden and Grivi in ​​Bø.

Short-term rent means renting a housing unit with us for a very limited period of time, such as a week while you are at a gathering. If you want to rent student housing with us from, for example, January to June, this is not considered a short-term rental.

You apply for short-term rent on My page.

Read more about short-term rent.

International students must have money in a Norwegian bank account to apply for a student visa in Norway. SSN offers this service to international students, as it has proven difficult for international students to open a Norwegian bank account prior to receiving a D-number (which is given after the resident permit is granted).

For transferring the money, you need our bank address, IBAN and BIC / SWIFT:

Name of Bank: Sparebank 1 Sørøst-Norge (BV)
Bank address: Torvet 5, 3120 Nøtterøy
Account number: 2480 27 91131
Iban number: NO85 2480 27 91131

Account owner: Studentsamskipnaden i Sorost-Norge
Owners address: Raveien 189 B, 3184 Borre, Norway
Account title: Account foreign students

Please find the Residence permit bank account slip here.

Read more about the bank account for international students.

More about moving in

See all our frequently asked questions about student housing.